Pages

Wednesday 4 March 2009

Background Designs and 3D Environment

I'm neither a fan of 3D modelling nor of background designing, unfortunately this project kind of involves both! We had to design interior and exterior backgrounds in 2D plus a room in 3D.



To be honest I will never enjoy modelling in 3D. It's just to tedious and fiddly. It took me hours to create the simplest shapes. I gave my best and I think the result is not too bad. It is a bit too dark, I could have used more "darker" lights to make more things visible. The proportion is slightly off. The sink and the tools are too big compared to the "torture rack", which should be big enough for an entire human body. Apart from this I think it's a good attempt.


The 2D interior design was supposed to be a proper cartoon background with some wonky shapes rather than clean neat lines. I think the shadows and lights are working quite well. I worked all of the stages from sketches to finish digital. I used my new graphic A4 tablet and a program called "Sketchbook Pro"to all elements and transferred this file to "Photoshop" for the clean-up and coloring part.



The exterior background was inspired by a picture I found on the Internet (unfortunately I can't remember where I found it) and it's supposed to have a post-apocalypse-new-dawn kind of feeling with dead creepy trees, destroyed houses,a polluted sky, but a lot of morning sun.
I like the colours and the field of depth blur. I've drawn 6 layers and blurred each individually. I worked the same way as in the interior design. Sketched it in Sketchbook Pro and coloured it in Photoshop.

As I said in the beginning of this post I have never been a big fan of background designs, but this project was actually fun and I enjoyed drawing those pictures. I learned a lot about using shadows and lights and how colours determine the mood of a scene.

No comments: