Pages

Thursday 7 July 2011

Subsurface Scattering

Since I just recently found out that mental ray's mia_material is the most versatile shader ever. I now tried it with subsurface scattering.

Obviously, mental ray does have specific subsurface scattering shaders, but the mia_material can do the same job and I think it's more intuitive and easier to setup then the misss shaders. I would probably not used it for complex skin shading, but for a simply getting a realistic semi transparent look, it's brilliant.

This test is definitely not prefect. I think the transparency is bit too much, this might be because the grapes are hollow right now and once the seeds are inside this might look better already. I also put texture maps on pretty much anything I could (diffuse, reflection, refraction and translucency colour), that might have been too much and I'll have to tweak them a bit to make it look better.

No comments: